A by appointment only formalwear boutique local to Bergen County, New Jersey specializing in custom wedding gowns,...Read more mother of the bride/groom gowns, flower girl dresses and custom made veils and accessories hand crafted to match your dress. Each item would have an exclusive design based on your...
The Something Blue Shoppe is a prestigious wedding dress and bridal salon located in historic Hartselle, Alabama. As...Read more Alabama’s oldest full-service bridal salon, they are proud to be serving a third generation of newlyweds-to-be after over 50 years. With hundreds of gowns to choose from, The...
Bridal Collections is a premier bridal shop based in Spokane, Washington. Since 1981, Bridal Collections has been making...Read more brides dreams come true by providing a beautiful collection of wedding gowns from the finest designers in bridal fashion. From size two to 32, Bridal Collections will have the...
Jennifer's is a wedding gown boutique located in Hockessin, Delaware. Founder Jennifer Kienzle has been helping brides...Read more find their dream dress for over 25 years. She and her team go above and beyond to make sure each of her clients has attentive, personalized service throughout their...
Margaret’s Cleaners is a bridal gown preparation and preservation company located in San Diego, Calif. This team of...Read more in-house cleaners has years of experience when it comes to attending wedding dresses and other special gowns. The team at Margaret’s Cleaners works closely with their clients for a...
Formally Yours is a wedding boutique based in Lilburn, Georgia. Since 1982, expert stylists have been helping to-be-weds...Read more find the perfect gown for their special day. Owner Cathy Butler welcomes you to explore her extensive collection that includes designer gowns to suit every style, from classic...
Designer Loft is a wedding dress shop located in New York City that carries a wide selection of designers and styles....Read more The store’s team aims to provide a relaxed, comfortable environment where clients can find gowns that align with their unique styles and budgets. The shop also offers various...
Classic Drycleaners and Laundromats in Lemoyne, PA takes great pride in offering an extensive list of wedding...Read more gown-related services. As a member of the Association of Wedding Gown Specialists they are masters of their craft. All of their gown services are performed on-site by their Certified Wedding...
Lily Saratoga is a wedding boutique in Saratoga Springs, New York. This elegant boutique has a charming and relaxed...Read more atmosphere, perfect for trying on lovely garments in comfort and style. A consultant will work with you one-on-one to understand your unique vision and style and recommend pieces until...
First off, Congratulations! We are so excited for you + we can't wait to celebrate at your bridal appointment. Once...Read more you've scheduled your appointment at Couture Closet you will be off to a great start! We provide one on one appointments with a supportive consultant, an intentionally curated...
Blue Sky Bridal is a wedding gown consignment and sample store located in Portland, Oregon, with an additional location...Read more in Seattle. The business's team is proud to offer new, once-worn, and sample gowns at affordable prices. The store has countless options when it comes to finding a designer look...
Elegance Preserved is a cleaning and preservation service located in San Francisco, California, that services the entire...Read more nation. They help clean, repair, and preserve your beautiful wedding gowns so that you may treasure in its original state. As San Francisco’s sole member of the Association of...
Antonio's Bridal is a Birmingham, Michigan-based luxury bridal boutique. Providing an extensive collection of designer...Read more gowns, the team assists clients in finding a dress that feels good and fits perfectly. The boutique prides itself on making the bridal shopping experience simple, enjoyable, and...
J. Reid Menswear is a wedding apparel shop located in Glens Falls, New York, just an hour outside of Albany. Since 1965,...Read more the store has been committed to providing those celebrating special occasions with high-quality, designer suits, tuxedos, and more. Today, Jeffrey Ives delights in sharing his...
Miss Facet Bridal is a custom wedding dress boutique located in Hemet, California. This shop offers clients the...Read more flexibility to design a gown that highlights their best features and reflects their unique personalities. The business began when owner Rachelle Surin went looking for her own wedding...
Hands-on Care You Can Trust For over 30 years, Oceanside Cleaners has been proudly serving the Jacksonville community....Read more As a family owned and operated business, we recognize that the quality of our service is a direct reflection of ourselves. That’s why we go the extra mile, every day, to...
Milroy's Tuxedos offers the newest styles and trends in all of today's hottest styles, colors, and fits. Great Brands...Read more include Ike Behar, Kenneth Cole, GiNovia, David Tutera, Allure, and David Major Select. Plus Thousands of new colors to coordinate your wedding... We Guarantee to coordinate your...
We are #poweredbylove and committed to providing you the #1 bridal store experience in Wisconsin. Bon Bon Belle is...Read more conveniently located in the heart of beautiful & historic Burlington, Wisconsin, in the middle of Milwaukee, Madison & Chicago. Situated in a gorgeous turn of the century building above...
Grace Loves Lace is a wedding dress boutique offering a showroom experience. Couples will find an incredibly warm and...Read more welcoming environment with a glass of prosecco or rose tea on arrival. Each client has their own personal styling suite where they can comfortably try on dresses and make memories...
We are so happy you’re here! We are a full service florist, event designer, and wedding coordinator based in Smithfield,...Read more Virginia and traveling well beyond. No matter what aspect of your wedding you need our help with, we are ready to turn your vision into reality. We have over 15-years of...
Suite Bridal is a warm and welcoming wedding gown boutique, with intimate and comfortable dressing rooms,and great...Read more selections for all kinds of brides. We are located in Buckhead, Atlanta. Come and try gowns from Stella York, Moonlight Couture, Moonlight Collection, Moonlight Tango, Watters , WTOO...
Louise Christine Bridal Boutique is a wedding dress and accessories shop in Dayton, Ohio. The business began operations...Read more in 2000. At first, they traveled to art shows to sell their designer jewelry. Their business thrived, and it wasn't long before they began selling beautiful wedding dresses as...
Adorn: to further embellish, enliven, or enhance an object of beauty Hey Nashville bride, whether you’ve been dreaming...Read more about this day since childhood or are just dipping your toes into wedding planning, you have a story to tell. You have a vision and a style that is completely your own. You are...
With years of sewing under her belt Liliana truly is a master of her craft. A graduate of Academia De Dibujo...Read more Professional (School of Fashion Design) in Colombia, Liliana is now working out of her beautiful, spacious storefront in Hudson, NH. With her vast knowledge and sharp eye for detail, Liliana...
How much does a wedding dress cost?
Buying a wedding dress is unlike purchasing a piece of everyday attire. You’re going to be wearing this dress on one of the most important days of your life, and so you’ll likely spend quite a bit of money on your wedding dress. While wedding dress prices do vary greatly, the average wedding dress cost in the U.S. is $1,000. It typically ranges from $280 to $1,650, but you can purchase a wedding dress for far above and below those prices.
- $ 100 or less Lower range
- $ 1,000 Average cost
- $ 280 - $ 1,650 Most couples spend between
- $ 2,600 or more Upper range
What impacts wedding dress prices?
What additional wedding dress costs should a bride plan for?
- Alterations: If you want to drastically change your wedding dress, your alterations may end up costing more than your actual wedding dress!
- Undergarments and accessories: Be sure to factor in your accessories— bridal undergarments, shoes, and more. These accessories will greatly affect how your gown looks and fits, so don’t forget to include them in your wedding dress cost.
- Cleaning and preservation: Don’t be surprised if you’re still spending money on your wedding dress after your wedding! Whether you plan on wearing your wedding dress again, passing it on to a future generation, or none of the above, it’s still a good idea to have your gown professionally cleaned and preserved. Wedding dress cleaning and preservation can cost $200 or more.
How can you save money on a wedding dress?
- Don’t try on dresses that are over-budget: Be upfront with your bridal salon consultant about your budgets—and be sure ask about the cost of each dress you try on. Avoid the temptation of trying on a wedding dress that’s out of your price range.
- Find a simple wedding dress, and accessorize: As mentioned, a simple and relatively unadorned wedding gown will cost less than an extremely detailed wedding dress. If you’re on a tight wedding dress budget, we recommend finding a simple gown and using a beaded sash or a brooch to give it some extra sparkle.
- Find a dress you love as is: Any significant alterations or customizations that you do to a wedding dress will cost (a lot of!) money. Therefore, if you want to make significant changes to a wedding dress (add sleeves, change the silhouette, etc.), that gown is probably not for you. Look for a wedding dress that you love mostly as it looks off the hanger.
- Scour sample sales: Many bridal salons offer sample sales where they sell sample dresses from past seasons. These sample dresses are typically in sizes 6 to 12, so if you fall in that size category, you may find a gorgeous gown at a low price at one of these sales.
- Visit trunk shows: If you’re set on purchasing a gown by a specific designer, you might find a deal at a trunk show. Trunk shows are when a bridal salon features the collection of a particular dress designer—and usually offers a discount (usually about 5 or 10 percent off that designer’s wedding dress prices). Research which salons in your area carry your favorite designers, and check their websites for upcoming trunk shows.
- Give yourself time to shop: A wedding dress can take several months to arrive after you’ve ordered it. Be sure to start shopping for your wedding dress as soon as possible —many brides shop at least nine months in advance, if not more. If you wait until the last minute, you may end up paying rush charges for your dress, which can greatly add to your total wedding dress cost.
How much does it cost to alter a wedding dress?
What questions should you ask a wedding dress tailor?
- How many fitting appointments will I need? How long will the process take?
- What types of alterations do you recommend for my wedding dress?
- Have you worked with a dress and fabric like mine before?
- Can you provide a cost for my alterations?
- How will you store my wedding dress?
- What do I need to bring to my first fitting appointment?
Wedding Dresses and Gowns
As you plan your wedding, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is your wedding dress. The dress you choose should reflect your unique style and personality and make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the room. How does a bride say “yes” to that perfect dress? Here’s a quick guide to shopping for wedding dresses.
Set Your Budget
When you start browsing bridal gowns, it’s easy to fall in love no matter the price tag. Before you even pick up a bridal magazine, set a strict wedding dress budget. We suggest allocating around 10 percent of your overall wedding budget to your dress – and don’t forget to include the cost of your wedding accessories in that line item!
Narrow Down Your Style
About a year out from your wedding, start browsing bridal dresses and get a feel for how they match up with your style. Now is the time to educate yourself on silhouettes, necklines, fabrics and more. Our wedding dress style guide can help.
Once you’ve set your wedding date and chosen a venue, add these factors into your dress calculation. Are you marrying in the winter at a beautiful church? Then you might choose a dress with heavier fabric – like satin – in a more traditional silhouette like a ball gown or A-Line.
Book Wedding Dress Salons
About 10 to eight months before your wedding, it’s time to get boots (or heels) on the ground to start your wedding dress hunt. Consider wedding dress salons in your area and book appointments with your top choices – most salons do not allow walk-ins. Take a look at our complete wedding dress shopping guide to learn all the tips and tricks to finding the wedding dress of your dreams.
Trying on Bridal Dresses
As your salon appointments approach, assemble your fashion squad to give you feedback and moral support. Keep your posse small, as too many opinions can get overwhelming. When you arrive at the salon, your stylist will discuss your dress preferences and budget and help you choose options. Keep an open mind; your stylist knows what looks good on different body types. If your stylist suggests a dress, even if it’s not a silhouette you are considering, give it a try. You might be surprised.
Choosing Your Bridal Gown
When your heart leaps and you can’t stop grinning at the reflection in the mirror, you’ve found the right wedding dress. The salon will likely ask for a down payment and then order your dress. Over the next months, your dress will be created just for you. It should arrive a few months before your wedding so you have time for fittings and alterations at your salon. (See our full wedding dress shopping timeline.) You may feel like you’re waiting forever, but this is the perfect time to pick your wedding accessories and knock off other items on your wedding to-do list.
Ready to start shopping for wedding dresses? WeddingWire is here to help. Put in your location and search for the top salons in your area. Read reviews and start making appointments. Happy dress hunting!